New seasons brings new weather, flora, fauna, and new potential troubles for your roof. As a homeowner, it’s important to maintain and take care of your roof. This lengthens the lifetime of your roof and saves you money down the line. A small wall discoloration spot or buckled flashing might not seem like an emergency. Roof troubles can grow quickly, along with the cost of repair.
Seasonal inspections and maintenance help you spot potential problems and promote a healthy roof system. As a rule, you should inspect or have a professional inspect your roof twice a year.
What is a roof system? Homeowners tend to think a roof is just the materials you can visually see. It’s more complex than that. A healthy roof system includes flashing, gutters, and proper ventilation. If any of these start to wear or take damage, it leaves your roof (and your house!) vulnerable to big problems.
Now that you have a better understanding of the importance of roof maintenance, let’s discuss some homeowner tips.
Seasonal Inspection Checklist
- Look for damaged or missing shingles or flashing. This one isn’t seasonal, you should be on the lookout regularly, especially if you just experienced a big storm! Make a habit of visually looking at your roof from time-to-time.
- Check for cracking or gaps around the chimney or joints.
- Mold, mildew, fungus or rust. If it’s there, you have a problem. Mold can deteriorate roofing materials.
- Wall or ceiling discoloration. Inside your house, you might notice signs of water damage. It could be a sign of a leak or poor ventilation. If you have an attic, make sure to check their first!
- Look for overhanging tree limbs or debris.
- Check the gutters for wear or breakage.
Aside from a quick inspection, you should also be sure to keep your gutters clear. Clogged gutters can lead to water damage or unwanted pests making their home in them.
It’s important to take the time to inspect the roof. Be vigilant about your roof care, it will save you money in the long run. If you’re unfamiliar with what to look for particularly, hire a roofing contractor to do the inspection for you. Hill Country Roofing, Inc. is the longest roofing member of the Kerrville Area Chamber of Commerce, over 20 years. Trusted, reliable, you can always give us a call for your roof needs.